Written by 7:32 am Law

What Benefits Can I Claim With Rheumatoid Arthritis In The UK

person in blue shirt showing left hand

Living with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a daily challenge, and many people find that it not only affects their physical well-being but also impacts their financial situation. If you’re in the UK and are struggling with RA, you might be wondering, What benefits can I claim with rheumatoid arthritis in the UK? You’re not alone in this, and there are various benefits and support systems available to you. 

This article will shed light on this topic and help guide you in accessing the assistance you deserve. Plus, for those considering advanced treatments, Stemwell Regenerative Medicine offers some cutting-edge solutions.

The Benefits Available for Rheumatoid Arthritis in the UK

The UK government offers various benefits and support schemes to help individuals with RA maintain their quality of life. We will explore the benefits and entitlements available to those living with rheumatoid arthritis in the UK.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Children

What benefits can I claim with rheumatoid arthritis in the UK if my child has RA? Children under 16 with severe disabilities may be eligible for DLA. 

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a government support program that aims to provide financial assistance to individuals with disabilities, including those with rheumatoid arthritis. DLA is now gradually being replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (PIP). 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

For those aged 16 to 64, the Disability Living Allowance has been replaced with the Personal Independence Payment (PIP). PIP is one of the primary benefits to consider. PIP is divided into two components: daily living and mobility. Depending on how RA affects your daily life and ability to move around, you might be eligible for one or both components of this benefit.

Attendance Allowance

For individuals aged 65 and over, the Attendance Allowance might be the answer. This benefit is for those who need help with personal care or need someone to supervise them to stay safe. It doesn’t cover mobility needs, and there’s no means-testing involved.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If your ability to work is limited due to RA, ESA can offer financial support. There are two types of ESA: contributory (based on your National Insurance contributions) and income-related (based on income and savings). 

Blue Badge Scheme

Mobility issues are a common challenge for those with RA. When it comes to parking or accessing public places, the Blue Badge scheme could be beneficial. This badge allows holders to park closer to their destinations, often for free.

Council Tax Reduction

Having RA can sometimes mean needing adjustments to your home or requiring a bigger space. If these changes impact your finances, you might be eligible for a council tax reduction. A reduction in council tax can alleviate some financial strain.

Access to Work

For those still in employment, Access to Work can provide grants to make necessary adjustments to the workplace or work equipment. From special chairs to software aids, Access to Work can be a crucial benefit.

Key Takeaways

Rheumatoid arthritis is a debilitating condition, but there’s support available in the UK for those affected. From financial aid to support in the workplace, the UK offers a range of benefits for those with RA. 

(Visited 23 times, 1 visits today)